Covid-19 in Bulgaria: Government extends ’60:40′ payroll support to September 2021

Written by on December 23, 2020 in Bulgaria - Comments Off on Covid-19 in Bulgaria: Government extends ’60:40′ payroll support to September 2021

Bulgaria’s government is extending its “60:40” payroll support measure for employers, a response to the Covid-19 crisis, until September 2021, Prime Minister Boiko Borissov said on December 23.

The measure involves the state picking up 60 per cent of salary and social insurance costs, while the employer must pay the remaining 40 per cent.

Borissov emphasised during a meeting with members of his government that all other measures to support business during the pandemic continue to work, a government statement said.

“All these measures are to maintain people’s jobs, lives and standards. That is why the vaccine is important to us, fortunately every day we see a lasting tendency for the number of recoveries (from the virus) to be almost twice as many as the number of infected,” he said.

The statement quoted Labour and Social Policy Minister Denitsa Sacheva as saying that the 60:40 and 80:20 measures would continue to operate next year, while a different job-saving measure would be amended so that as of next year, 75 per cent of the insured pay of employees would be paid. For this latter measure, 50 million leva has been set aside.

The 80:20 measure is paid for with European Union funds.

Sacheva said that under the 60:40 measure, 627 million leva had been paid out, which she said had preserved 250 000 jobs.

Under the 80:20 measure, for hotels, restaurant, tourism and transport jobs, 23 million leva had been paid out, which Sacheva said had preserved 24 858 jobs.

(Photo: Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry press centre)

The Sofia Globe’s coverage of the Covid-19 situation in Bulgaria is supported by the Embassies of Switzerland and Finland.

The Sofia Globe is an independent media outlet, free of ties to any corporate, political or other media groups. For as little as three euro a month or the equivalent in other currencies, you can support The Sofia Globe via patreon.com and get access to exclusive subscriber-only content. Please click on the button below:

Become a Patron!

About the Author

The Sofia Globe - the Sofia-based fully independent English-language news and features website, covering Bulgaria, the Balkans and the EU. Sign up to subscribe to sofiaglobe.com's daily bulletin through the form on our homepage. https://www.patreon.com/user?u=32709292