Bulgarian authorities have asked for the help of Interpol member countries to help identify the terrorist who carried out the suicide bombing at Sarafovo airport in Bourgas on July 18, which killed five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver.
In a statement posted on its website, Interpol said that it “issued a Black Notice – used to seek information about unidentified corpses – to each of its 190 member countries” and was publishing the reconstructed image released by Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry on July 30 “to engage the public’s help in identifying the man.”
“Police in Bulgaria continue to work tirelessly to solve this deadly attack and as part of our ongoing efforts with Interpol and law enforcement worldwide, we are now publishing this computer generated image and appealing to the public to come forward with any information they may have which will help identify this suspected terrorist,” Bulgarian Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said in the Interpol statement.
Interpol secretary-general Ronald K. Noble said: “Interpol and all of our member countries will continue to offer every support to the Bulgarian police, through the issue of notices, carrying out checks against our global databases and ensuring that all requests for information in relation to this investigation are treated with the highest priority.”
Anyone with any information about the man in the photograph is advised to contact either Bulgarian authorities directly – by visiting the nearest police precinct or by calling +359 56 844 242 – or Interpol’s command and co-ordination centre in Lyon, France.
Interpol also released the images of the suicide bomber captured by security cameras inside the arrivals terminal of the Sarafovo airport, made public by Bulgarian authorities last week. These did not have the terrorist’s face appear clearly, but the new image was a reconstruction of the face, based on available forensic evidence, Bulgarian law enforcement said earlier.
(Photo: Bulgarian Interior Ministry)