Bulgarian military to cut 2700 jobs after July 1 – report
Bulgaria’s armed forces are to dismiss 2400 military personnel, out of a total 2700 job cuts, from July 1 2012, the Defence Ministry said in response to an inquiry by Mediapool, the news website said on June 19.
However, the Defence Ministry said that it would create 1800 new jobs in other divisions and those wanting to continue being employed by the military would be able to do so, the report said.
The forthcoming cuts are the most extensive since Prime Minister Boiko Borissov’s centre-right GERB Government took office in July 2009.
The plan for the development ofBulgaria’s armed forces to 2014 provides for the cutting of 7000 posts, including 5700 military and 1300 civilian employees.
So far, most of the cuts ordered by the Defence Ministry have involved shutting down vacancies rather than actual dismissals.
Posts will be cut back in, among others, the towns ofPleven,Sliven, Shoumen andVratsawhile new posts will be created inYambol,Kazanluk,Stara Zagoraand Karlovo.
Those made redundant will be able to apply for one of the new vacancies. Those who decide not to continue a career with the military will serve out six months’ notice.
The Defence Ministry declined to disclose which posts would be shut down and which new ones opened, saying that this information was classified.
(Photo: US Army)