More than 300 people are missing after floods in Serbia started last week, the website nestali.rs said on May 20. After the disaster left at least 20 people dead, the Serbian government has declared three days of mourning starting from May 21.
Prime minister Aleksandar Vucic said on May 20 that the scale of catastrophe is 10 times larger in Serbia than in the other countries in the region, expressing his hope this would not be reflected in an increase in casualties. In Obrenovac, 40 kilometers south-west of Belgrade, 14 bodies have been found so far, Vucic said. The town is the most seriously affected by the floods, with the most of inhabitants having been evacuated.
For the full story, please click here.
(Photo, taken from a Slovenian helicopter providing assistance to flood victims in Bosnia and Herzegovina: EC/ECHO/EEAS/EU Delegation BiH)