A third suspected accomplice in the July 2012 Bourgas Airport terrorist bombing in which five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver died has been identified, Bulgaria’s Prosecutor-General Sotir Tsatsarov said on February 20 2014.
In February 2013, the Bulgarian government announced that the international investigation that it had been leading had shown that the terrorist attack, in which a suicide bomber died, led back to the military wing of Hezbollah.
This led, in turn, to the European Union declaring Hezbollah’s military wing a terrorist organisation.
Tsatsarov said that the identification of the third suspect meant the filing of criminal charges against the perpetrators would be postponed.
He said that there was new evidence about the terrorist attack.
To date, Bulgaria has had no response to its request to the country where the two previously identified suspects are said to be residing for them to be handed over.
Tsatsarov did not identify the country. He also did not disclose whether the third suspect was a foreign national.
He said that the identification of the third suspect meant that there were other international judicial tasks to be performed.
“This does not mean that the filing of charges is postponed for an uncertain period of time, just on the contrary, it means that we will need just a little more time. We will avail of more evidence,” Tsatsarov said.