Two more Bulgarians have been arrested in connection with the deaths of 71 migrants whose remains were found in a lorry in Austria, according to a September 1 report by Bulgarian National Radio, citing its own sources.
The report said that one was arrested in Austria and the other in Bulgaria, at the request of Austrian authorities.
Four arrests were made previously, of three Bulgarian citizens and an Afghanistan citizen. The four who were arrested in Hungary were remanded in custody until September 29. Austria is expected to seek their extradition.
The remains were found on the morning of August 28 in a lorry that had been abandoned at the side of the road near the Hungarian border. Forensic examination established that the bodies were of 59 men, eight women and four children. The group is believed to have been from Syria.
Police in Austria have alleged that the lorry may have been part of an operation by a Bulgarian-Hungarian people-trafficking organised crime group. Reports have said that by the time the lorry crossed the Hungarian-Austrian border, those inside likely were already dead, probably from asphyxiation.
Regarding the reports of the two further arrests, there was no statement on September 1 either from the Prosecutor-General’s office or the State Agency for National Security. Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry said that the investigation was being led by foreign services and it could not comment on reports of an arrest in Bulgaria.