A children’s aid group said Tuesday that about 400 migrants had died in a shipwreck while trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea.
The Italian office of Save the Children reported the disaster, citing survivors from another migrant boat who were rescued and taken to the city of Reggio Calabria in southern Italy.
Save the Children said the shipwreck happened about 24 hours after the boat left the coast of Libya and that “many young boys” were among the victims. No other details were given.
There has been no comment from the Italian Coast Guard, which watches the Mediterranean for struggling migrant boats.
Thousands of migrants departed Libya last week, taking advantage of good weather. The Coast Guard said it rescued more than 5,600 migrants from 22 boats Friday and Sunday.
Tens of thousands of Africans and Middle Eastern migrants try to reach Italian shores each year to escape unrest in their home countries. Last year, more than 170,000 rescued migrants were brought to Italy.
(Archive photo: Italian Coast Guard)