Bulgaria’s Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said on September 21 2012 that the country’s intelligence and law enforcement services knew who was behind the July terrorist attack at Bourgas Airport in which five Israelis, a Bulgarian and a suicide bomber died, but Tsvetanov declined to give further details.
His statement to journalists comes against a background of Israel blaming Hezbollah and Iran, but Bulgaria so far having refused to point fingers publicly.
At a recent meeting with his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu, Bulgarian Prime Minister Boiko Borissov also publicly reserved judgment on who was behind the terrorist attack, saying that the Bulgarian-led investigation was still proceeding.
Tsvetanov said that the investigation should not be discussed in public. There was a lot to say, but it should not be said in public, he said. Tsvetanov expressed confidence that the crime would be solved.
At Bulgaria’s request, Interpol has released two images to assist in the investigation, one a reconstruction of the face of the suicide bomber, another of a suspected accomplice in the terrorist act.
Previously, Bulgaria said that the distribution online of the images had produced a large response from the public, including a number of useful leads.
(Main photo, of a computer-generated identikit of the suspected accomplice of the Bourgas Airport terrorist suicide bomber, by the Bulgarian Interior Ministry.)