Máchovo jezero is an oasis in a landlocked country, and its beaches, as well as its waters and forested surroundings, provide ample opportunities for both relaxation and lakeside entertainment, with a variety of campsites, pensions and cottage communities offering a spectrum of activities for families and partygoers alike.
The sandy-bottomed body of water, which covers 278 hectares, was originally dubbed the Big Lake by King Charles IV. It was renamed Máchovo jezero (Mácha’s Lake) in 1961 after the Romantic poet Karel Hynek Mácha (1810-36), who frequented the lake, located in north Bohemia.
For the full story, please visit The Prague Post
(Photo: Michael Kümmling)