UN Security Council extends terms of ICTY judges

Written by on December 19, 2013 in Europe - No comments

The United Nations Security Council voted on December 18 2013 to extend the terms of office of judges at the United Nations tribunal set up to deal with the worst atrocities committed during the Balkan conflicts of the 1990s.

With 14 members voting in favour and Russia abstaining, the Security Council extended until the end of December 2014 the terms of 17 permanent and ad litem judges at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), the UN News Centre said.

The judges are all members of the Trial Chambers and the Appeals Chamber and have until December 31 2014 or until the completion of the cases to which they are assigned, if sooner.

The Security Council also requested that the ICTY, which marked its 20th anniversary earlier this year, takes “all possible measures to complete its work as expeditiously as possible with the aim to facilitate the closure of the Tribunal” by December 31 2014, as requested in resolution 1966 of 2010.

Briefing the Council earlier this month, Judge Theodor Meron, President of the ICTY, said the Court has accounted for all 162 indicted individuals.

Only four trials concerning core statutory crimes remain to be completed. Three will be completed according to the schedule and one case which was originally meant to be completed at the end of December 2014 is now anticipated to be completed by July 2015.

(Photo: ICTY)

Comments

comments

About the Author

The Sofia Globe - Bulgaria’s fully independent English-language news and features website, run by an all-expatriate team. Sign up to subscribe to sofiaglobe.com's daily bulletin by using the form on the homepage of our website. Please click to support our advertisers!