Investigators probing the July 18 suicide bombing attack against a group of Israeli tourists at Sarafovo Airport in Bourgas have a much clearer picture of the face of the terrorist who carried out the attack, public broadcaster Bulgarian National Television said on July 30.
Those involved in the investigation into the attack, which led to the deaths of five Israeli tourists, their Bulgarian bus driver and the terrorist himself, declined to disclose when and where the high-resolution image was taken.
However, it is understood that it comes from one of the Bulgarian Interior Ministry’s network of security cameras.
Previously, the ministry released a series of images of the suicide bomber taken at Bourgas Airport arrivals hall about an hour before the attack.
The newly-found image will be circulated among various foreign law enforcement and intelligence agencies to assist in identifying the suicide bomber.
On July 27, Bulgarian website bivol.bg* published a series of photographs that the website said were of the head of the bomber. The photographs purportedly depict the face of the bomber from various angles. A report accompanying the story said that the photographs appeared to have been manipulated to remove traces of the most grievous injuries to the remains.
Photo: Chris Chidsey/sxc.hu
(*There is no connection between the website bivol.bg and The Sofia Globe’s news editor, Alex Bivol.)